W&W is BACK!


If we were sitting face to face, this conversation would start with a big hug. We'd forego all the guidelines of social distancing like the closest of friends would.

Today the kids got to leave the house for the first time in four days. The lower school my children attend prepared packets of homeschool work for us to do and scheduled a drive through over the lunch hour for us to come pick them up. Seeing the smiling faces of the teachers and faculty who have become part of our lives broke me. I'd kept the tears back when I walked up and down empty aisles at Walmart, and again at Kroger, but today my eyes filled as we waved to all of them and exchanged "hi's" and "we miss you's."

This whole thing became so much more real in that drive through.

The separation of it all. 

There's so much we can endure when we band together, but the physical coming together is limited now. 

Lindsay the RN understands the big picture. It's been years since I practiced in a hospital, but that doesn't mean I don't remember what it was like to be short-staffed. When not only your patients' safety was at stake, but so was yours. However, having this understanding doesn't mean there is an absence of feelings about it all. 

I could tell the "isolation" was taking a toll on my 4 year old today. I met it with my own frustration at first. And then, like a shawl falling off my shoulders, I let it go, bent down, and said, "Let's hug, sweetie." She needed reassurance just like I do. That it's ok to be frustrated. It's ok to miss what was. In many ways some of us will find ourselves grieving the past as we wonder if and when things will ever return to "normal." 

When I stepped away from Warford&Wife, it was out of obedience to start and focus on a new project. A project I didn't want to work on. It proved to be cathartic, and I believe the Lord used it to bless other people too. 

I really wasn't ever sure if we'd meet here again. But, there's a stirring inside that says it's time to re-open this space. I honestly have only a small idea of what it will look like, but uncertain times don't call for uncertain measures. Sometimes you just have to do the thing that makes the most sense. And in this case, it's following that still, small voice. 

Until next time,

<3 Lindsay

Comments