Weekday Schedule

As if the coronavirus pandemic wasn't a roller coaster in itself, those of us figuring out how to work from home all week (or just BE at home all week) with little ones is a roller coaster of its own. In 10 seconds I can go from feeling like I'm rocking this self-isolation thing to wondering how I ever even managed to work from home with kids before now.

Then I remember we live in a routine, and that is what makes all the difference.

My insta-poll inquiring whether or not my insta-fam would like to see what our daily schedule looks like came back 100% in favor of seeing it. But, before you look at it, or any schedule for that matter, remember this.... This is what works in the Warford House. It's also very fluid. On rainy or particularly cold days we can't have outdoor time. So we improvise. Just because it works for us doesn't mean it will work for you, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't.

In the last week David and I decided to make a couple changes to how we do things at home.

  • We used to let the kids occasionally "picnic" in front of the TV during meals. Not anymore. Meals are eaten only at one of the tables. 
  • My children had never played a video game (other than the PBS Kids app when we're at the doctor) until yesterday when Avery started using ABCMouse. But as for right now I'm limiting even that to 20 minutes a day, and she'll sit and do it at the beginning of Learning Time on our desktop computer. 
  • Jase has decided now is the week he wants to give up naps. Of course! He still has to do quiet time in his room like Avery does. I will never surrender their daily quiet time. 

If I had to pick one word to describe the following schedule it would be GROUNDING. When I feel like the day is spiraling out of control, our schedule helps me refocus. It's fluid enough to allow for all kinds of hiccups, but there's enough structure to it that I am able to have a productive day and my kids don't spend all of their waking hours in front of a screen, bored out of their mind, or nearly killing each other (or the dogs).

I hope this helps, even if it gives you just one idea to make self-isolation / quarantine / working from home a little easier.

Until next time,

Lindsay




Comments