Dijon Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps

Even though I spent last weekend in one of the GREATEST cities for DELICIOUS food in the country (San Antonio, TX), I found myself every now and then craving the chicken salad I'd made the week before!

David and I have been avoiding a certain smattering of foods the past couple weeks (as best we could with all of the traveling), so when I read this recipe for chicken salad I was elated to see that it didn't include any of the ingredients we've been avoiding.

I made a few tweaks when I made it for my second time this week. Although they're little changes to me, I could definitely TASTE a big difference that I ended up very happy with.

So, what's so special about this chicken salad?

First of all, there's no dairy or eggs (two things I'm avoiding right now). Usually chicken salad will include cream cheese and/or mayo.

Second of all, it's incredibly refreshing! (It has parsley and apple cider vinegar in it.)

Thirdly, the dijon mustard is completely unexpected and gives this salad a great bite!

Here is the original recipe for "Chicken Salad with Roasted Bell Pepper in Avocado Cups" from Heather at Multiply Delicious.

Here's my adaptation!



Ingredients:

1 rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup unsalted, raw almonds (roughly chopped)
1 garlic clove (minced)
1/3 red onion (diced)
3 tbsp basil (chopped)
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
2 bell peppers (I used one red and one yellow) - (roasted and diced)
Salt to taste
Romaine lettuce leaves
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp gluten-free dijon mustard
1/4 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Cover a pan with thin layer of EVOO. Place your diced peppers skin side up on your pan. Bake them for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, pull apart your rotisserie chicken. Place in a large bowl and shred with two large forks.

Add your garlic, almonds, onion, basil, parsley, cherry tomatoes, and a pinch or two of salt. When your peppers are done, throw those in too! Mix it all up.

Next, in a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together your apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and EVOO. Pour it over your chicken evenly and give the salad another good stir so everything is evenly distributed and balanced.

Serve chilled wrapped inside romaine lettuce leaves.

Delicious and easy and healthy! It doesn't get much better when it comes to lunch time!

Comments