Monday, October 27, 2014

Moving

Three weeks and two days... Is that all it's been? Because it feels like it's been an entire semester wrapped into three weeks and two days. Three weeks and two days ago we were given an opportunity to break our lease early on this sweet little barn house. It took us on a roller coaster ride for a few days as we prayed and sought out what step to take next. And y'all, God was so good. Just five days later, when it looked like we were never going to find anywhere to move to if we did decide to break our lease early, I stumbled upon another rental home online. It's a long, funny story as to how the following 24 hours proceeded. But, to make it short, God gave us the house, and we move in on Nov. 15th.

The day I realized we might be moving, I was so sad. I didn't want to take this opportunity. Even though I knew it would allow us to move into a more affordable house, this was our home. David and I have lived in this house for the majority of our marriage. And for those of you who have had the pleasure of being inside of it recently, our home is adorable. I have loved the space I've created. And, now, almost everything that made it so inviting is in boxes. And with each box I tape shut, the less this feels like "home," and the more it just feels like a house.

However, now, it's funny how I don't miss anything that's packed in the boxes. When they were on the walls or couches or tables or hanging in the closets, I adored them and the perfect arrangement. But, now they're just things. I could do without them.

It reminds me of the song my mom sang as we grew up ... "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through, my troubles are laid out, somewhere beyond the blue..." I've been singing it while I pack. Even though our name is on the lease, this house isn't our home. It was just a temporary residence, just like this world...

God's also been reminding me that our homes are resources. With almost every prayer, David and I ask God to help us be better stewards of our resources. Opening the doors to our home to anyone but family members or close friends wasn't something that came naturally to me and David when we moved out here. Home was our sanctuary - a safe place where we could rest and recuperate. Now, our home is so much more than that. At times, yes, it's sanctuary time - family time. At other times, it's business time or study time. But now we consider, who can we invite over? The mom whose husband works late and needs a place to let her children run free in the backyard. The neighbor's kids who need a sitter during the afternoon. Other law school students that are just as exhausted as David is. The people who just moved to Little Rock and don't know anyone yet. Our home is becoming less and less about what we want and more and more about what it's supposed to be used for.

I didn't WANT to move during those 5 days of figuring it out. I WANTED to stay right here. And I knew I was being selfish. I knew God had a bigger plan going on.

And now I'm so excited to watch that plan unfold. Cause this is how it works when you surrender your life to Christ. He moves you.

My mom rejoiced over the phone the day we told her we were moving, "God is moving you! This is exciting!" We didn't even know where we were moving yet, but she saw God's hand all over it. And when it's crystal clear that God is the one who is moving you, you just can't help but be excited about it.

"For in Him we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:28

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive during these last three weeks and two days! Especially to the people who have affirmed us as we seek the Lord's guidance on decisions regarding post-bar. We love you, you know who you are, our cheerleaders that know God has us exactly where we are supposed to be.

If you'd like our new address, just send me an email, text message, or private FB message, and I'll send it to you.