Wind Chimes

We were in this outdoor / garden / farming store buying Sperry dog food over the weekend, and this really beautiful wind chime caught my eye. It had stars on it which reminded me of Texas. 

David laughed as I climbed and squeezed over and between boxes of who-knows-what to get to the guarded display of wind chimes.

When I saw how inexpensively priced it was AND that it was made in America, I lifted it off of it's display and somehow managed to climb back over and through the boxes with it to rejoin David and head for the weed killer before checking out.  

When we got home, we first hung the wind chimes on the front porch, but it just didn't look right there. So, we moved it to the back deck which is directly behind my office.


Now, when the wind blows, I get to hear it through the windows.

It's so peaceful... Like birds in the trees... Not the mean ones who caw, but the sweet ones who sing.

I wish there was a way we could hang up our Guatemalan hammock in the backyard, so I could lay there and take a nap and drift to sleep to the songs of sweet birds and wind chimes...

This little red barn house has been our home for over two years now. But, it is unlikely that in another two years we'll still be living at this address. There's a part of me that would like to stay here simply because it's just become so comfortable. But, I remember that right now it's just me and David... and Sperry... and the two business... and the law school books... So, functionally speaking, I'll need to rent out office space when children come along if we don't move into a differently structured home. 

I consider the remodel our homeowners are about to undertake in our kitchen, and I cringe at the thought of more than two people working in that tiny space so close to my home office with hammers and drills and other power tools.

The kitchen as we know it will change. The home will change. How I function on a daily basis through this remodel will change... Point: This current state of residential "comfort" is temporary.

That old song my mom sang to us as kids plays in my head... 

"This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through,
My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, 
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore. 

Oh Lord, You know, I have no friend like you,
If heaven's not my home, then Lord, what will I do?
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, 
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

Even before that tornado recently demolished so many homes in our neighboring towns, God's been reminding me that this home, this physical red house we live in, and earth itself, isn't really our home.

The things I like about our temporary home are just snippets of the glory that exists in the home we'll spend eternity in. 

Having a home that we feel safe and comfortable in right now is not something to feel guilty about, but, God is reminding me that we can't get too comfortable. We should expect for things to change. And, an unwillingness to move might deprive us the opportunity to live somewhere better - better for us, better for our future children, better for others, better for His glory. 

The wind blows through the wind chimes, and they play their soft song... 

I hum along and take comfort in God's sovereignty instead of the walls surrounding me. 

Comments