Enough

There in the center of my pink sheet of note paper, I wrote it out in big block letters.... LACK OF DISCIPLINE. I drew stars on either side, not to make it look cute, but to draw even more attention to the words I'd heard too often during the past couple weeks.

Several years ago my dad told me how proud he was of my self-discipline and that he didn't think he knew anyone else with so much. He was primarily referring to my healthy lifestyle. I exercised every day and ate healthier than anyone else in the family. Being the words-of-affirmation girl that I am, that compliment affirmed me for a long time.

When I saw my family doctor earlier this month, he practically shook his finger at me, "You need to live a healthy lifestyle." I was shocked! Me? Live a healthy lifestyle? I do!!!! I'm one of the healthiest people I know!

But he wasn't referring to the foods I don't eat, the supplements I take, my portion sizes, or my dress size. He was referring to my not exercising.

The self-discipline I had once exhibited so well was lacking. I wondered, if my dad were to observe my daily schedule today, would he notice my self-discipline in the same way he had before? My answer was no, because it wasn't the same.

While eating lunch today I caught up on some of my blog reading and Lysa Terkeurst's post from Monday cut deep. She provided her readers with several scriptures for healthy eating.

The two that resonated with me the most were:

"You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north." Deuteronomy 2:3

and

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19

That first verse - ENOUGH.

Enough with the excuses. Enough with the laziness. Enough with the LACKING. Enough with hitting the snooze button for an hour! So, now, turn from it.

The second verse I know by heart. I know that I was bought with a price. I know that so deep the truth runs through my veins. And since I know that full well, how dare I ignore the command to honor my Maker with my body.

There are so, so many ways to honor God with our bodies, that my thoughts on that could fill a book.

But in terms of exercise and honoring God, they go together like this...

My body is where the Holy Spirit lives. I should keep his home beautiful, inside and out.  God only entrusted me with one body for the Holy Spirit to live in and for me to use to further His Kingdom. Regular exercise helps keep it healthy. When my body is healthy, any opportunity laid before me to honor God is a possibility for me to engage in.

So, enough with the lack of discipline. It's time.

Comments