Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Peach Sweater

This morning I carefully folded our laundry, like I do almost every morning. When I came to my white and blue stripped cardigan, the one I'd worn on my wedding day, I smiled. I was grateful the butternut squash soup from yesterday hadn't left a stain. I hung it over a hanger and placed it next to my most beautiful sweater of all. The peach one I'd bought this summer.

The one with delicate fabric. The one I'd paid more for than I had planned on when going on my shopping endeavor to find something warm to wear to a wedding in Colorado. It was so beautiful, and I knew it would go with everything. I adore that sweater, and I'm glad I bought it. It is beautiful and soft and really does go with everything.

However, this morning, in horror, I noticed it's shoulders had been stretched out by the hanger it was hanging off of. And as I looked closer, I saw a hole right there in the shoulder.

I quickly grabbed my sewing kit from the closet and found a light gold spool of thread... I didn't have peach, so gold would have to do. Carefully, I examined the seems and determined the best way to pull them back together.

Carefully, I tended to my beautiful sweater. I'm not proficient enough to do it quickly. So, I took my time. I carefully folded the fabric over to check my line; to make sure it's straight.

I finished mending the hole in the shoulder and noticed the tag was pulling at the delicate fabric. I wished I hadn't accidentally put it in the dryer that one day. I knew the damage I was fixing was a consequence of my negligence in the past.

When the knots were tied and the thread cut, and I held up the sweater to assess it's condition, I happily realized my work would suffice. My sewing skills were satisfactory. No one will notice anything had ever been wrong with the sweater.

But, I can't help but wonder, how would the designer of this sweater have fixed it? Of course, she never would have accidentally put the sweater in the dryer, so she wouldn't have had this problem to begin with. But, if I knew her, and could ask her to repair my damaged sweater, what would she had done differently?

She would have used the right color thread. And her lines would have been perfect, because she knew exactly how they were supposed to be to begin with. She would have considered more than I did. How will her repair hold up during future wear? Will her repair affect the purpose of the sweater? Will it still be beautiful?

I was just trying to fix a hole so no one would know it had ever been there.

She would have considered more. She would have considered the whole picture.

A realm I do not understand, because I know so little about sewing and fashion design.

But she would know everything. And my sweater would be in better hands if they were her's and not mine.

Isn't this our life? We have so many holes as a result of our negligence, or shortcomings, or weaknesses, and we try to patch them and fill them, all by ourselves, so no one will know we ever had anything wrong with us.

Some of us might do okay, for a while. We might even be able to convince others that the holes are fashionable. But, inside, we know that wasn't how it was designed to be. And we know we don't have the skills, or knowledge, or strength to keep fixing and filling anymore.

So let's stop trying to do something we're not equipped to do.

Let's give it back to the Designer.

He'll repair the holes. He knows the best way how. The method of stitching might hurt a little. But, when He's finished, we'll be whole again.