Spaghetti Squash

I had never even considered making spaghetti squash until my mom told me about how delicious her's turned out recently.

Although I'd seen it all over Pinterest, I'd never even considered giving it a try.

But, last Friday when I spotted the most beautiful butternut squash in our local produce and plant market, I decided it was time to take a stab at it!

And my goodness, we were not disappointed!

I used JJ Virgin's recipe from her book "The Virgin Diet" as my guide!

Basically, David cut one squash in half (length-wise) with a chef's knife.

I scooped out the seeds and dropped each half into one large pot of boiling water and let them boil for 20 minutes (at which point I could easily stick a fork into the flesh).

While I watched the boiling squash, David starting browning some minced garlic and red peppers. Once those were finished, we set them aside, and he started browning some lean, ground turkey in olive oil.

After that, we drained the meat, returned the meat to our pan, and added in the browned garlic and peppers and one jar of Classico Tomato & Basil marinara sauce.

By that point, my 20 minutes was up for the squash. I carefully pulled each half out of the water and let them sit for about 10 minutes. Then, I used two forks to "shred" the inside of each squash into "spaghetti" noodles.


I plated our noodles, David ladled out the meat sauce, and then we topped it off with red pepper flakes and chopped parsley.



I was delicious!! This will be a part of our weekly menu. We couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was!

Now, the kale chips I was simultaneously working on are another story. Haven't quite mastered those...



Maybe next week, we'll try again? ; ) We'll see!

If you try this recipe, I hope you like it as much as we did! (And if you have any other tips or favorite proteins to accompany spaghetti squash, comment below!)

Comments