Jill's Story

Over Memorial Day weekend, David and I were able to make a quick trip to Atlanta to visit my family and celebrate my Dad's birthday! 


My cute parents! (Janet & Randy)

I love getting to go home to visit my family, and I always look forward to getting to go back to our home church, Passion City Church, for worship and teaching Sunday morning. 

Before the service started, Dad and I were sitting next to each other talking about human trafficking. I'd been struggling lately with where my role in helping to end human trafficking is. As Chris led us in worship, we sang the verse, "You are faithful," over and over again. I forced myself to speak the words. Although I believed them, I just couldn't see enough of God's faithfulness in human trafficking...

I asked God, "How are you faithful in human trafficking? All of these terrible things are happening to innocent people right now. Where is your faithfulness?"

Half of me expected to feel guilty for calling out God like that, but He immediately spoke to me, and I could hear a smile behind his voice... "I will be faithful. It will end."

I could have cried right there. I don't see the end. In fact, I'm just a human who can't see very far at all. All I see is the step I'm taking at this moment. 

But, God knows it all. 

Worship continued and an unfamiliar face led us in Hillsong's "Beneath the Water." 

I don't live in Atlanta anymore, so I wasn't too surprised that I didn't recognize one of the worship leaders at PCC. But, I knew I recognized her voice. 

When I sat down to work yesterday, I looked up "Beneath the Water" on YouTube and have been listening to it on my computer.


Today, while I was perusing through some other Hillsong music videos, I saw the "unfamiliar face, very familiar voice," female, worship leader who'd led us at PCC on Sunday.

Her name is Jill McCloghry, and she is one of the vocalists in my favorite Hillsong song, "Desert Song."

I noticed a clip titled, "Hillsong United - Desert Song (behind story)". I clicked on it and listened to Jill's story...


Listening to her, I couldn't help but remember how I felt during worship on Sunday. 

Her story encouraged me. At our core, we're wired to want to worship a higher power. And, I feel like when we are so desperately broken, crying out to God is what comes naturally. 

When we choose to cry out in worship, in those valleys, I can't even imagine how much joy that brings to Our Maker. That here we would be, hurting and suffering, but still choosing to proclaim "You are my God. You are my victory. You are faithful."

Even more so, what a powerful reminder to Satan that he has no place here. He's defeated, and when we choose to proclaim the name of Jesus, is deprived the opportunity to reap joy from our suffering. 

"All of my life,
In every season,
You are still God,
I have a reason to sing,
I have a reason to worship.

I will bring praise,
I will bring praise, 
No weapon formed against me shall remain.

I will rejoice, 
I will declare,
God is my victory and He is here."

Hillsong, 'Dessert Song'

*Jill McCloghry, thank you for choosing to lead so many of us in worship. You're a blessing.

Comments