Calendars

I love being organized. I have calendars everywhere. There's a monthly, dry erase calendar on our refrigerator. I have a weekly menu on the counter in our kitchen. I have an adorable Lilly Pulitzer day planner. I use the calendar on my phone to keep up with appointments. I have an online calendar just for work deadlines.

Can you tell I love calendars? They're so helpful, organized, and I dare say fun!

I think my appreciation for calendars might have something to do with being a hands on learner. 

If you tell me something, honestly, I might not remember it. I HAVE to write it down. With so many calendars to choose from, which all serve their own organizational purpose, I always have one to write my plans/need-to-do's/reminders in. 

Writing it down will help me remember, and having it written down will help me remember. {Do you see the difference? If so, you and I are so similar. : ) There certainly is a difference.}

David isn't really a calendar guy. Although he's tried to, he's never used an agenda or calendar. He just remembers everything he has to do. (It totally baffles me!) Since we have the dry erase calendar right there in the kitchen, he'll write personal appointments down on it, but not really for his benefit - but for mine.

So, yesterday, when David said it was time to try using a joint, electronic calendar, I was pretty surprised. We'd tried it once right after we got married. It lasted about 5 minutes. 

But, David's got so much going on this summer with law school and an internship and out-of-town weddings, he wants to be sure nothing gets over-booked or over-looked. 

So, David quickly got our iCalendars synced up and I went to work entering his summer class schedule, our travel schedule, family get togethers ... The calendar began to fill up so fast that I realized our white board never would have been able to handle this summer. 

And, as I look at the happy plans and blessings we're about to step into during the coming months, I can't help but smile and remember the verse Malachi 3:10...

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LordAlmighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."

Is that what our summer is? An outpouring of blessings so great that we don't have room to store it up? Or enough room on our calendars to hold it all?

If so, THANK YOU, LORD! Thank you for the blessings. Help us to daily see the opportunities, the travel plans, the visitors, the classes, the papers, the books, the suits, the new glasses, the demands of the job, the time we spend cooking dinner together, the walks with Sperry, the hot summer sun, the hardy green plants ... all of it is a blessing from you. Even when we're so busy keeping up with the calendar, remind us that every breath is a blessing. 

Thank you for the blessings.

Comments