Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Monday Sick Day

Yesterday, I woke up with a strange cough. I cannot remember ever having a cough. (I know I did as a child because I've heard my parents tell stories, but, I myself cannot remember ever having one.) 

It was a weird cough. Dry, but not the kind that's just a tickle in your throat. It was deeper. Once it started, I couldn't stop. 

"This is strange." I thought to myself. 

Anyway, I took a Mucinex and went on about business as usual. David left for school (also perplexed by my cough), and I got to work on the computer, soon beginning a Monday morning conference call with Dave Sr. All in all, as long as I didn't laugh (and trigger a coughing spell) I was okay.

Then 10:30am rolled around. A full-blown head cold had settled in.

"What is going on?" I thought heading to the kitchen. We don't keep "sick food" in the house. So, I pulled out a can of tomato soup and some Triscuits for lunch. It didn't necessarily "sound good," but I couldn't find anything that "sounded" better.

By noon, I was laid out on the couch, lights off, blanket nearly pulled over head, moaning. 

Sperry was utterly confused.

I remained quite ill, to say the least, for the rest of the day. At one point, I actually thought I was going to need David to take me to the Emergency Room, but the thought of getting into a moving car made me feel even worse.

Thunder storms rolled in about 3:30pm, and I wondered if the throbbing in my head was being exacerbated by the barometric pressure change.

Long story short, I didn't go to the ER, and David was able to run to the store on his way home from class.

When I'm sick, Milano cookies are the only thing that sounds good to eat. I usually pack a bag with me when leaving for a mission trip. David actually bought me two bags of Milano cookies, but I tore into the first one as soon as it was removed from it's grocery bag (so it didn't make the picture). 

Thankfully, that nasty, night time Tylenol (blue bottle) helped me sleep through the night. This afternoon I feel mostly recovered. Still a little weak, but I've been able to make myself eat food with more substance than the Milano's have.

David's asking me why I'm blogging about being sick.

Because, truth be told, this is the first time that I've been as sick as I was yesterday, and I didn't have my parents nearby to help take care of me. Even in college, whenever I was seriously ill, it always happened when I was home. It was always "such a blessing" that I happened to come home for some reason or another. Even over the past two years of being married, the couple times that I have been very sick, my mom was always a 20 minute drive away and available to bring me soup, medicine, tender loving care, etc.

This time it was just me and David. Just us.

David did a great job taking care of me. I'm a typical "nurse" patient. I don't do any of the things you're supposed to do when you're sick. I won't take medicine. I won't eat. I won't go to the doctor. I'm a tough patient to take care of. 

But, he has a way of kindly reminding me that I'm being stubborn and making me do whatever it is I need to do to get better.

Yesterday was significant, not because of how sick I was, but because it was another milestone for us as couple.

I only had David. With every other pressure and demand he had placed on him yesterday (which happened to be by far the most demanding and stressful day yet of Spring Semester), his bride needed him to also be everything for her. And he was.