Homemade Samoa Cookies

Over the weekend David and I were at a local restaurant, waiting in line to order our food, when we overheard a group of young adults in front of us talking about how many girl scout cookies they'd eaten the night before. David and I just looked at each other in disbelief and whispered, "Girl scout cookies??? We missed them???"

I'm not really sure how it happened, but we haven't seen a single girl scout - not in front of a Kroger, a Walmart, and no one came to our door.

I won't lie, standing there in line, we were disappointed. When every early Spring of the last 15+ years you've had a box of girl scout cookies in your freezer, you hate to miss out when you don't have to.

Well, for the last several days, I've been craving sweets a little more than usual, and all I can think about are Samoa Cookies. Samoa's are David's favorite. Ironically they're my favorite too, even though I hate coconut. If you want to know how much, ask my Dad. He has a funny story he loves to share about me, an almond joy, and the Burger King playground when I was about five years old. ; )

Since I hadn't seen any girl scouts selling cookies around town, and I had a little extra time today, I thought I'd use a recipe I'd saved to Pinterest for homemade Samoa cookies. I was able to quickly run to the store and buy the few ingredients I needed (and a rolling pin) and got to work right away.

Here are the things I learned about making your own Samoa cookies:

1. It takes a lot, lot, lot longer than you think. You can't just whip up a batch of Samoa's like you can chocolate chip cookies.
2. Coconut can go from white to brown in less than a second while "toasting" in the oven.
3. Caramel and Chocolate do not melt the same way at all... I didn't know how easy it was to burn chocolate or that caramel could bubble up and over the glass bowl it's melting in.
4. It is not something children should help with. I lost count of the number of times I burned my fingers/hands on hot coconut and/or caramel ... and multiple cookie sheets.
5. It requires a lot of hand washing.
6. Even if you ruin half the batch by dipping them in, unbeknownst to you, burnt chocolate, your house will smell better than any Sugar Cookie Yankee Candle could ever make it smell.

Long story short, I had to throw away half of the cookies, and the other half are chocolate-less.


But, even for a girl who hates coconut, I think they're still pretty tasty. 

Next year, if we miss the girl scouts again, I think we'll forego making our own and just go without Samoa's. And if we manage to find a girl scout, we'll definitely buy several boxes. : )

Comments