The Bare White Wall Challenge

When David and I first walked into this little red barn house, which we now call home, it was on a whim. We were here in Arkansas for a quick weekend, whirlwind trip trying to find a house and maybe a job for me just weeks before we were due to move. We poured over newspapers, internet sites, we even had a realtor looking into rental homes for us. We found one property management company that had two houses within our price range, and one of them was ready for move-in ASAP. It was just down the street from their office, so we figured why not check it out. It ticked all of our boxes and even had a little character to it. Long story short, we now call it our law-school house, and home. 

Like many women, I've taken great pride in turning this little rental house into a home. From planters by the front door to curtains in the guest room, it's been a project. And, more importantly a project on a budget. 

I think that was one of the reasons why I was so excited to stumble upon this INCREDIBLE find.



My mother-in-law, Brenda, and I were perusing through our favorite antique store one cold, rainy day last week, and tucked away in one of the booths was this ginormous wooden frame. 

AND

It was only $8!

I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that. So, I bought it, and the creative juices began to flow.

Originally, I thought I'd put it in our living room over the couch and create some kind of collage with it. But, when I set it against a bare white wall in our kitchen for a minute while I unloaded some other purchases, I saw the potential it had as a simple solution to a decorating challenge I had yet to overcome...

The bare white wall. I don't know what the walls in our kitchen are made of, but they're not regular walls. You can't stick a thumb tac in them, and even hammering nails is really difficult. We've only managed to get two nails into the walls of our kitchen. So, aside from painting it, I didn't have any other ideas for this one bare white wall.

I had seen this cute idea via Pinterest that I found endearing. Then, in that moment looking at the simple wooden frame against my bare white wall, considering staying budget friendly, I found my opportunity to put my own spin on the Pinterest idea. 

After a quick trip to Hobby Lobby, I was one step closer to tackling the challenge of the bare white wall.



Because I knew I wouldn't be able to use a nail to hang my frame or these letters, I picked up some velcro 3M command strips from the grocery store. 

With David's help and some good eye-balling, the bare white wall challenge was complete!



Now, are you ready for the real INCREDIBLE part!?! 

This whole little project cost me less than $25. That includes the frame, the wooden letters, 3 different acrylic paints, new paint brushes, and two packs of 3M Command Strips. Woo hoo!

Now if I could only figure out how to hang the cute hooks I bought to go under the frame... : )

Comments