The Curry

Tonight, David and I had our first official training session with our new personal trainer Leo. I had been looking forward to it since we first signed up for personal training almost a month ago!

My very first job (aside from being a babysitter) was working at Liberty Fitness Women's Club in Alpharetta, GA. I absolutely LOVED working there. I loved the ladies I worked for, with, and made work! Literally! (I taught a couple fitness classes.) It was truly my second home. I was one of the youngest ladies in there usually (not too hard to accomplish since I started working there when I was a junior in high school). 

The Lord brought women into my life through that gym who have greatly impacted my spiritual walk and have made an incredible impression on the woman I've grown into. I got to meet women from all walks of life who were going through all walks of life. But, the one thing we all had in common was that we were women making an effort to get healthy, and that was enough. 

I think my time there is definitely one of the reasons I'm so passionate about women's health. But, more than helping women loose inches/weight, get stronger, and feel better about their physical appearance, I loved the conversations we had sitting in the free weights section, listening and encouraging one another. The hilarious moments that only women can understand (i.e. women holding onto their breasts as they jumped on the trampoline), the milestones these women shared (marriages, babies, first dates, graduations, sending first born's off to college) ... And there were the tender moments... Like the time one of our members learned her son, who was serving in the Middle East, was missing in action... The single mom opening up to a few of us that she didn't know how much longer she was going to be able to afford to stay in her house... Me coming home from Africa...

One day, I'd like to write a book about it. I learned a lot from those women...

I felt a lot of accountability working there to stay fit and in shape, because who wants someone with flabbiness telling you to do 10 more push-ups? Not too motivating. Or at least, that's what I thought. 

Like most teenage girls, unfortunately, I definitely struggled with positive self image. Working at Liberty definitely gave me a great way to stay in shape and keep me accountable. 

Fast forward several years... As much as I would have liked to keep up my strict exercise regimen throughout my nursing career, it just didn't happen. 

Thus, tonight... Tonight, I was so excited to get back in the swing of exercising regularly. Not just walking on the treadmill, pushing through 30 min on the elliptical, or sprinting a little with Sperry outside... No, a real, make me sweat, make me sore, make me work exercise regimen. 

We did what Leo calls, The Curry. I'm pretty sure I threw him a couple daggers with my eyes when he said, "Next, burpees." Ugghh... Burpees are my Everest right now... And alternating lunges... 

But, I finished. It was hard, my face was beat red, at one point I thought I was going to pass out, but I finished. Day One, down. We have a year committed, and paid for, to this regimen. And, I'm excited to see what happens. Not just with my body. I'm confidant that any person who exercises the right way and eats healthy will see changes with their body (even if it's just a boost in energy level). But, what I'm really excited about is what's going to happen being in a gym again so much? 

It's not like the rec center in college or at your apartment complex... I'm going to be in this place a lot over the next year... Who will the Lord bring into our life? How will we impact them? How will they impact us? ... I guess we'll have to show up and see. 

Comments